Thursday, August 17, 2006

A day not spent swimming at the pool...

We spent it swimming at the lake!! Our Wed..last day of summer vacation was a blast! I think even better then the Tuesday last day of summer vacation at the pool!
First time all year. We were the only one's there and it was the most gorgeous day! Everyone enjoyed jumping off the dock. Lucy was belly laughing as she pushed her brothers in! She was happy swimming by the dock, but was scared to death walking in the water. The sand was okay, just not in the water. Strange. She made me carry her until she could not touch!
Dante was stung inbetween his big toe and second toe by something....I pulled the stinger out and it was actually still pulsing.....YUCK! He recovered and practiced splash dives and tried the front flip.
Stone just did whatever he wanted. He has no fear. He would dive, jump, flip, turn....He was even able to do back and front flips in the water with his "super-suit" on. I'd really like to get him on the swim team...if only he could follow directions!



I was able to read (a great little book from my sister-in-law) and relax a little. I played on the dock and watched Lucy dig in the sand and fill up 4 buckets and 2 cups!
I also was faced thinking about my real first negativity about the adoption. It was a hard blow, a kick in the stomach, knife through the heart.
From a person, I considered a "grandmother" type. Very open about her opinions.
"Why not have another real one of our own? Why not the US...? Why one of those...? Don't you have enough already...?"
No lie! I was asked all these and more. I was surprised how calm outside I remained because my blood was boiling inside. I still kept my happy postive attitude and luckily kept my cool. But it sure did hurt. We have reasons for all these, and they are legitimate questions for people to understand why we are adopting. But this was not the same. It was rude, hurtful, and negative. I completely understand and respect her opinion....but why reject mine?

The US has too many strings attached and disappointments. Fostering is a requirement and that is a lot of strain and dissapointment for my kids to go through. Having a sibling then not.

A real one of our own....hmmmmm....do I go there? I did drop to that level and shot back as pleasant as I could...."Dante's not Bart's." And as soon as I said it...It certainly did not come out like I wanted. That is not true. Dante is Bart's! Which is another reason we wanted to adopt. Bart and Dante have a relationship I can not understand. It is a bond and love, as strong as blood, but without! I am excited to have this with Kate. To know it, feel it, understand it!

One of those.....? Okay....silly me I just get all tongue tied, trying not to cry and am able to explain there are many girls there that need homes....which turned into a circle back to the kids also need homes in the US. No winning this one. I ended it with....."because our daughter is in China!"

Oh, sure we have enough.....One was enough. 2 was nice. 3 is great. One more is better. And who knows....Ha. Bart is shaking his head, saying, "NO WAY" as he reads this!
Why is one more better, because we can, and everyone in our family will be the lucky ones to have Kate!

So what does my loving husband do, but take us all out to eat....CHINESE! A great way to celebrate 4 months wait down (this past Sat.) and his birthday coming up Sat. A great way to get me past the hurt and look towards bring home Kate!

3 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you should have to justify your reasons about adoption to anyone no matter what!
Next time tell her to put a lid on it!!! great pictures of the kids and lake. Happy Birthday on Saturday Bart! aunt jamie

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Polar Bear said...

It is such a bummer when people put dampers on happy feelings. I have had a couple of conversations like that, and there is really nothing to do but grin and bear. I have learned that what I say won't change their mind, so I am not going to bring myself down because I can't please them.

The pictures are great! Everyone looks so happy!

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Tina said...

Wow, I can't believe those questions were asked! I agree with the others that you shouldn't let it get you down. I love reading your blog and checking out all the pictures. Dante is a great big brother, and Stone is making real progress. I can't wait to see "Princess Lucy" again (hopefully with her new sister!!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home