Monday, May 08, 2006

Over the river (Mississippi twice, Illinois once) and through the woods...



This is not looking into the window of the ONE house, but looking out Grandma’s Window in Iowa. I (we) had a fabulous time. I was at one time sitting at the kitchen table looking out the picture window into the huge backyard and saw my brother trying to lift my niece Starla into the tree as Stone hit him with Arnie trying to protect her. I took a deep breath, took a mental note, and said….I wish I had this day to put in a box to always remember. Do you ever have days like that? I have 175 (no joke) pictures of this day! I did my best to be able to put it in a box. Of course 20 of those are trying to get a picture of the kids, and I still did not get one with them all looking at the camera!

The morning was spent working. That is always the case….it is devoted to a project for grandma. This year was tree trimming, trim painting and some yard work. My uncle Virgil is as crazy as the neighbor with a chain saw! Tree splitting, prayers and thankfully no ladder or uncles falling from the tree, or broken house parts. I put Bart to work and I supervised the kids. It is not possible for me to have a “job” with them running around. I did a little by picking up sticks. I always feel guilty, but hopefully I will be able to make up for it in years to come. I thought I only saw things like this in Southeast Missouri.....

At this time I was able to get a great cup of Chai tea latte from the best coffee house in town: Gnomad Coffee House. My cousin Tony, was not there....but it is his baby and I was impressed. If ever in Maquoketa stop in. I felt I was sitting in some big city...there were books, games, puzzles, internet connections....I can't seem to get the web page brought up...so someone tell Tony! It isn't working! Awesome place! www.gnomadcoffeehouse.com

This area is so rich in history. We had to break down and to the car-ride nap thing and were able to see so many neat things. One was the Hurtsville Kilns....Thankfully my smarty Husband knew all my questions on lime. Who knew?

The afternoon was spent playing ball in the HUGE yard, ring around the rosie,sitting, talking, a game of cards (for the men), and some sidewalk chalk, which Arnie and Snappy became the erasers for! It was this part that was sweet. Catching up, not just by conversation per say…but by watching and listening. I think, but am not sure this is where Bart and Uncle Dale talked shop about concrete walls.....hmmm.....What did you say, energy efficient....the magic words to get Bart's attention.

This was topped off with a very yummy homemade dinner. The best kind, too! Swiss steak, potatoes, corn, beans….I do regret not getting a picture of the blood sausage. It is a complete German thing. THEY loved it…in fact the uncles were pushing, shoving, throwing elbows, and sneakily getting to the food line to get some. Usually the kids get to get food first….HA! NOT the case this time….BOB!!!!!!!!!!


Dante, Stone, and Lucy loved the swimming pool at the hotel. Starla also had a great time swimming. Sunshine…not so much. It took her most the night to get up to her knees. She does not take after her dad and aunt Jenny in the water department!
I wish I could visit more often. It is so welcoming and comforting to be around such loving kind people, and BOB, too! I am glad we do take this weekend every year to come…even though now that Aunt Annie, and Uncle Eddie have a nice new inground pool, we might have to go a little later in the year! The weather was cooler up North. In fact all the flowers and lilacs were in full bloom! It was nice until my allergies reminded me what I just went through the past few weeks.

The 7 hour car ride home....8 hour ride there (I took one wrong exit!), was worth it to see faces like this!

1 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, Blogger Polar Bear said...

Sounds like a great trip Jenn!!

I know all about blood sausage. My aunt and uncle raise hogs. They would butcher on the first Monday of December every year. One year I was stuck stirring the... you know. That is all I am going to say. :)

Glad you're back!

Stacy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home