Thursday, July 20, 2006

Keeping memories alive

A year ago Bart was still making weekend trips back to the States from his job in Germany (Deutchland). We have his coming home one year anniversary coming up. Seems like forever ago!

Has anyone really ever seen any pictures from our extended stay in Germany? NO? Hmmm. That is funny, since I took over 1,000 maybe 2,000 pictures. NO kidding, digital cameras are awesome! Yet I have been fighting with snapfish and the inner financial battle to get these developed.

This picture here is from out favorite town. Funny, I can't remember the name of it.

Pause while I go look it up.....
....two books later, BAD MUNSTEREIFEL.
It was a town completely surrounded by a wall. It had a beautiful courtyard, with a stream that ran through it. There were lots of shops and places to eat. We always enjoyed the ice cream shop. My personal favorite zimt, aka cinnamon. There was also an awesome restaurant the served the best pizzas. We ate there a few times.

I bought most souvenirs from this town because it was so special. Funny though, how these memories slip away when you don't "look back". So, I have just decided my next project is to scrapbook these memories. No biggie, just 1,000s of pictures and countless receipts and other memorabilia. It will be worth it! I don't want to lose these memories!

Such as:
One night I was walking alone back to the car where Bart and the kids went on ahead to. He allowed me a little time to shop at the bookstore for my grandma. I bought her a very neat bookmark. There was a slight mist. I can almost smell the smell. I can certainly picture the way the cobblestone shone. The soft lamp lights reflected off the buildings and water in a magical way. I even can distinctly hear the footsteps of the man that walked past me. I submerged myself in this moment...just so I could feel this way right now.

POP! Oh, don't mind that. It was my bubble that just burst. I am back to the reality of laundry, breakfast, diapers, and blue's clue's on the tv. IT IS A WONDERFUL LIFE!

2 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger Polar Bear said...

What a great post. Thanks for making me smile!

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This picture warms my heart too. Thank you for sharing.
Grandma Kathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home