Saturday, January 28, 2006

Bai Jai Bei....what?

I know now I am completely crazy! I have decided after a long debate back and forth to go ahead and try to collect fabric for a “100 Good Wishes quilt.”
To welcome and celebrate a new life, there is a tradition in the northern part of China to make a Bai Jia Bei, or "100 Good Wishes Quilt." It is a custom to invite 100 people to contribute a single square patch of cloth. The 100 patches are sewn together into a quilt that contains the luck, energy, and good wishes from all the family and friends who contributed a piece of fabric. The quilt is then passed down from generation to generation. Please help me. I was against it because I thought I’d never be able to get 100, but it is worth a shot! I love the idea of welcoming our daughter into our home with a quilt that represents the good wishes for her from our family and friends. It is also special to be from her Chinese customs. Coming into this family, I hope to give her something that she can hold and know she is loved just as much from everyone around!


HERE IS WHAT WE WOULD LIKE YOU TO DO:
1. Choose any 100% cotton fabric that you like. It can be from a piece of clothing or from a fabric store. It just needs to have a design and color that you like.
2. Cut one (1) 7" square from the fabric.
3. On a separate note or card put a small piece of the fabric and include your "good wish note." Please include why you chose the fabric and your name and address. The fabric will be used to make a quilt, and the notes will be used in keepsake book for our daughter.


IDEAS FOR SELECTING FABRIC SQUARES: * Select a fabric that is meaningful to you. * 100% cotton fabric is best, as it washes and wears better. * If there are several members in your family, please feel free to send more than one good wish note and pieces of fabric. In China, these quilts were originally made from the garments of family and friends surrounding the child with luck and good wishes.

IDEAS FOR GOOD WISHES NOTE: Anything that comes to mind. Good advice about the family, well wishes, hopes, dreams, poems, bible verses, a simple I love you! Just remember to sign it!

You all are wondering how I am going to make a quilt, I bet. I am not, Bart is! HA! After the basement work coming to an end, he is a little bored.

All joking aside, I am going to find someone to do it for me. There are still many quilters in this area who do that sort of thing for money. I think there is a group at church. I also know of a local tailor shop that may be interested. But there is always the chance that any family/friend who knows how to quilt will step forward and help me. If I am lucky I will get to be involved and learn how.

I know it is a little early, but 100 is a lot. So tell your friends to tell their friends and send a bunch to me so the little girl with dark almond eyes can be wrapped up in love and ‘good wishes” when she comes HOME!

1 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be contributing to your quilt....just wanted you to know!
Kathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home